Facts are facts, they are always true. Here are 42 world class amazing facts, compiled as a part of my Twitter status. (Also Read: Amazing laws and rules – don’t get them Legalize)
- Laughing lowers levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system. Six-year-olds laugh an average of 300 times a day. Adults only laugh 15 to 100 times a day.
- The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear.The aunt can lift 50 times its own weight, can pull 30 times its own weight and always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.
- Every time you lick a stamp, you’re consuming 1/10 of a calorie.
- Mosquito repellents don’t repel. They hide you. The spray blocks the mosquito’s sensors so they don’t know you’re there.
- No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.
- You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.
- Every person has a unique tongue print.
- Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty years of age or older.
- The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley’s gum.
- A Boeing 747s wingspan is longer than the Wright brother’s first flight.
- The longest word in the English language, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. The only other word with the same amount of letters is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses, its plural.
- Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
- A hippo can open its mouth wide enough to fit a 4 foot tall child inside.
- A hummingbird weighs less than a penny.
- A googol (misspelled as Google ) is actually the common name for a number with million zeros.
- The pupil of the eye expands as much as 45 percent when a person looks at something pleasing.
- A “jiffy” is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.
- Almonds are a member of the peach family.
- Armored knights raised their visors to identify themselves when they rode past their king. This custom has become the modern military salute.
- The Titanic was the first ship to use the SOS signal.
- Dalmatians are born without spots.
- The first Harley Davidson motorcycle was built in 1903, and used a tomato can for a carburetor.
- Most soccer players run 7 miles in a game.
- It took three different actors to portray Darth Vader. Voice: James Earl Jones. Face: Sebastian Shaw. Body: David Prowse
- McDonald’s is the world’s largest distributor of toys.
- A violin contains about 70 separate pieces of wood.
- It is estimated that 4 million “junk” telephone calls, phone solicitations by persons of programmed machine are made every day in the United States!
- A Boeing 747 airliner holds 57,285 gallons of fuel.
- The two-foot long bird called a Kea that lives in New Zealand likes to eat the strips of rubber around car windows!
- A jellyfish is 95 percent water.
- There wasn’t a single pony in the Pony Express, just horses.
- Honeybees have a type of hair on their eyes.
- Skepticisms is the longest word that alternates hands when typing! (Read: Sentences having A-Z in them)
- America once issued a 5-cent bill.
- The praying mantis is the only insect that can turn its head.
- Rice paper doesn’t have any rice in it.
- The blesbok, a South African antelope, is almost the same color as grape juice.
- An earthquake on December 16, 1811 caused parts of the Mississippi River to flow backwards.
- It is estimated that millions of trees in the world are accidentally planted by squirrels who bury nuts and then forget where they hid them.
- The sun is 330,330 times larger than the earth. (Please, read this comment below)
- 160 cars can drive side by side on the Monumental Axis in Brazil, the world’s widest road.
- If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to head one cup of coffee.
So, which fact did you got amazed at? Share your amazing facts with us. (Also Read: Amazing laws and rules – don’t get them Legalize)
6 thoughts on “42 Amazing facts that you might have missed”
The radius of the sun is ~700000 km. The Earth: ~6400 km.
So the difference in radius is about 100x
surface area: (100*100) = 10,000x
volume: (100*100*100) = 1,000,000x
…not quite 330,330
Also, a googol (not google!) is a common name for a 1 with 100 zeros…
Thank you so much, I’ve rectified the post.
The blesbok is usually brown in color. Grape juice is not brown. Not your fault, just an fyi.
Pingback: Amazing laws and rules - don't get them Legalized
A googol is a 1 followed by 100 zeroes.
अंग्रेजीको सबैभन्दा लामो शब्द #Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicavolcanoconisys (न्युमोनो अल्ट्रा माइक्रोस्कोपिक सिलिका भोल्क्यानो कोनाइसिस ) हो। यो कोइलाखानीका कामदारलाई लाग्ने रोगको नाम हो, चेतना भया 🙂 via @lendaai:twitter